San Lorenzo Huipulco is known today as a “barrio” in Tlalpan. In fact, it’s recently been recognized as an original settlement. In fact, it retains some characteristics of its pre-colonial history. The town is also well recognized for its stop on the light-rail train, just one station after that leading to the Estadio Azteca. In fact, for some football fans, the town makes a popular pre-game meeting point.
The Náhuatl name, Huitzpolco, could be translated as “place where the spikes of self-sacrifice are destroyed.”
A well-known book from 2007 refers to Huipulco as the first of the important towns and original settlements in the south of the city. During the colonial period and into the 19th century, it was an important commercial center sandwiched between multiple giant agricultural haciendas. In no small part, the town’s history was obscured by its proximity to Coyoacán which administered the territory until Tlalpan was formally made part of the Federal District in 1928.
Those familiar with Centro Tlalpan will recognize many of the same cobblestone streets and centuries-old buildings, here.
The old parish church and its replacement, from 1982, share the same atrium. The old chapel dates from the 17th century, with major renovations made in the 18th. The entire floor was replaced in 1965. In 1982, the chapel was restored again along with the construction of the newer church.
Although entirely Baroque on the outside, the Neo-Classical altar features San Lorenzo in the center, San Judas Tadeo on the left, and the Virgin of Guadalupe on the right. The central tabernacle is unusual but of excellent build. The atrium of the chapel, outside, very nearly connects with the Esplanade park just across the street.
*San Lorenzo Huipulco entrada a los pueblos del sur:
recuperación de la identidad y la historia de un antiguo pueblo de Tlalpan
Coordinating editors: Esther Gallardo González and Gerardo Mora Jiménez
Publisher: Editorial Praxis, 2007