Open - Limited Services / Capacity
The Mexico City Government Building is officially the Edificio de Gobierno de la Ciudad de México. It’s the sister building to the Antiguo Palacio del Ayuntamiento. Much of the design of this newer building was intended to complement the original. The two buildings host much of the executive and administrative offices of the Mexico City government.
Built between 1941 and 1948, it took the place of the old Portal de las Flores building. First a residential complex, the building later converted to commercial use. That building bore its original owner’s name, Flores. But it did later house a market selling fresh flowers (flores) and produce. The Portal building went up in 1724 and retained its commercial function until the 19th century. Demolition took place in 1935 as the Supreme Court building (to the east) was beginning construction. The demolition allowed for the opening of 20 de Noviembre Street at the center-south of the Zócalo.
The building suffered extensive damage in the 1985 earthquake. Reinforcements and intrusive steel buttresses are visible almost throughout the interior. The lobby of the building centers around a main stairwell. The stairwell hosts two 1986 murals by Carlos Montuy. The represent Mexican history from the prehispanic era to the Revolution.
One of the most important sites in the city, even today, don't miss the chance to visit the Templo Mayor.
One of Mexico City's best loved old ruins of a church, this one's still got a story.
One of Mexico City's proudest, most enormous parts of history, the Palacio dominates the entire east of the Zocalo.
Among the earliest on the buildings on the Zócalo, it's still the seat of City government.