La Casa de El Hijo del Ahuizote is an important revolutionary publisher and cultural center.
The house itself is dedicated to preserving the papers and archives of the original Hijo del Ahuizote newspaper. The Son of Ahuizotl was begun in 1885, and had a long run taunting the dictator Porfirio Díaz until he finally fell at the beginning of the Mexican Revolution.
Founded by Daniel Cabrera Rivera, Manuel Pérez Bibbins, and Juan Sarabia, the newspaper grew exponentially when taken over by Ricardo and Enrique Flores Magón in 1902. The Casa contains a wealth of original archives in a building from the same period.
Magonism was one of the leading organizing principles of thought leading up to the revolution, and is generally considered a Mexican variant of Anarcho-Communism. This is one of the most important introductions to the thinking and philosophy of the Mexican Revolution after the Museum of the Mexican Revolution itself.
Today, the building houses a major historical archive in the Santo Domingo neighborhood of the northwest of the Centro Histórico. The center organizes educational workshops and printing and publishing parties. These can include activists and residents from all over the city and the center still plays a role in the city’s political scene.
A contemporary art and installation gallery in the Claustro de Sor Juana...