Los Pinos was, until 2018, the Mexican President's official office and residence. It had served in this official capacity since 1934, when then president Lázaro Cárdenas moved in, but as of 2018 it became a cultural center. It's open to the public, admission is free
In about 1550, a mill was constructed on the site for processing wheat and maize. This facility grew in importance until it became widely recognized as the Molino del Rey, literally "The King's Mill." Some 300 years later, the mill was sold to a doctor who built a "Casa Grande" there. It was the site of the bloodiest battle during the USA invasion in 1847, and the first of those included in the overall Battle of Chapultepec which ended with the US occupation of the city.
The Casa Grande eventually came to be called Rancho La Hormiga, which can be translated as the Ranch of the Ant. In 1865, it was sold to Emperor Maximilian, but with his downfall it was returned to Doctor Martinez del Rio.
With the end of the Mexican Revolution in 1917, President Venustiano Carranza expropriated the land and buildings. This was in part because of their nearness to the Chapultepec Castle. Carranza intended to install a cabinet member on the site, but only Álvaro Obregón ever lived there. The site was then unused until 1934 when President Lázaro Cárdenas refused to inhabit the castle (as earlier Presidents had). Offered Rancho la Hormiga, he accepted, but he changed the name to Los Pinos, and it has remained under that name ever since.
Los Pinos, with all of its modifications and changes, ended up being a facility of some 56,000 square meters of space. The new president's decision to return it to the Mexican people was fulfilled on the day after he took office in December of 2018.
Today, it's as popular as any other place in Chapultepec Park and a fine addition to your next visit.