The Torres de Ciudad Satélite, (The Satellite City Towers) is a 1958 sculptural work. An ensemble of five triangular prisms, their varying colors and heights present a “City Scape” on the the Periferico highway in the Ciudad Satélite.
The work was the collaboration between sculptor Mathias Goeritz and the architect Luis Barragán. The painter Chucho Reyes Ferreira advised on color. Originally, the work was to include seven towers with the highest at 200 meters tall. Two were later eliminated from the plan, and the tallest is 52 meters high. The shortest stands at 30 meters.
Goeritz originally planned all of the towers in varying shades of orange. Builders and businessmen are said to have convinced him to vary the tones and this was done in consultation with Chucho Reyes. Prior to the 1968 Olympics, the towers were painted orange and they remained that way until 1974.
Goeritz and Barragán had separately traveled to San Gimignano in Italy in the early 1950s, and the towers there are thought to have influenced the work. Some historians have also noted Goeritz’s interest in “emotional architecture” when discussing the project.
For the work’s 50th anniversary in 2008, the Naucalpan municipality entirely restored the work. They also installed architectural lighting.
Architect Mario Pani's only work of religious architecture...
Not so much a traffic roundabout today, it's still a prominent place on Mexico City's main street.
Giant housing for the giant see, it's still one of the most successful public housing complexes ever.
One of the most truly underrated Mexico City parks is a verdant work by Mario Pani.