The beautiful Esmeralda building was built to house a luxurious and exclusive jewelry store: “La Esmeralda.” The designers were the architects, Eleuterio Méndez and Francisco Serrano. The building opened on November 27, 1892. In 2006 the Museo del Estanquillo opened on the upper floors of the building with collections donated by the intellectual Carlos Monsiváis.
Proyecto “Corredor de Cultura Digital”.
Nombre de la investigación:
Investigación Centro Histórico, Monumentos, Edificios y Puntos de Interés (2023)
Dirección de investigación y diseño de Rutas:
Acércate al Centro A.C.
Guadalupe Gómez Collada
Coordinación e investigación histórica:
Fideicomiso del Centro histórico
Dir. Maestra Loredana Montes
Photos: Secretaría de Cultura de la CDMXFounded in 2006. the Estanquillo Museum collection includes better than 20,000 objects and images collected by the writer, historian, and activist, Carlos Monsiváis. Estanquillo, literally an "official seal," refers to a small shop, something like a tobacco shop or kiosk, that sold goods likely to have been imported and therefore, to bear a duty stamp or seal. Monsiváis himself suggested the name because his collection appeared rather disparate. That very collection includes photography, miniatures and models, drawing and cartoons, prints and engravings, and objects from everyday life. In general, the collection focuses on 20th century Mexican life and popular art. The museum opened in 2006, and it's remained a highlight of any visit to the city center. In part, that's still because of its magnificent setting.