The Centro Cultural Ex Capilla de Guadalupe occupies the former Chapel of Guadalupe. This inside the Parque Lira and on the grounds of the old Casa Amarilla, which serves today as the headquarters of the Miguel Hidalgo alcaldía.
The church was begun in 1903. It’s a brick temple that was opened in 1908. Only one of the original stained glass windows remains. The church was briefly the headquarters of the Passionist Fathers in Mexico. It was abandoned by the Cristero Wars conflict at the end of the 1920s. For some 20 years, the space held archives from the National Archives. In 1987, it became the Miguel Hidalgo Central Library and remained a library for some years thereafter.
Only in 2010 was it converted to a performance space and one used for lectures, concerts, conferences, and exhibitions. These are frequently coordinated with events happening across the esplanades and plaza surrounding the Casa Amarilla.
The original choir loft remains from the first decade of the 20th century. This stands out, even among the many sights and artifacts in and around the Parque Lira. The Centro Cultural Ex Capilla de Guadalupe is frequently in the background for the many photos taken from the Miguel Hidalgo esplanades.
One of the important entranceways to Los Pinos, and thus to the rest of Chapultepec.