Considered the oldest public park in Latin America, it was opened in 1592 by the Viceroy Luis de Velasco and owes its name to the custom of planting poplars brought from Morocco and Spain. During the 16th century, the park boasted fountains, ponds and fish. Between 1770 and 1775, the layout of its promenades was redesigned and five fountains carved in quarry stone with mythological themes were placed. By the 19th century the environment of the alameda changed drastically and its sculptures were replaced by new works. In the center is the "Fountain of the Americas," but also "Neptune," "Mercury," "Aphrodite Anadiomene," "The Danáides," "Spring," and "The Nymphs." Monument to Beethoven and Alexander von Humboldt can be admired in the park. On Juarez Avenue, on the sidewalk of the Alameda and on the opposite side, are several bronze reproductions of sculptures that were acquired by the City Hall to decorate the promenade. The originals are made of marble and can be seen in the National Museum of Art and the National Museum of San Carlos.
Ruta del Corazón de México - Alameda - Madero