The Dominicans arrived in Mexico City in 1526 and by the following year they began to build their convent dedicated to the apostle Santiago. The current temple was begun in 1720 and consecrated in 1755, it is the work of the famous architect Pedro de Arrieta. The convent and the atrium had large extensions and multiple buildings were erected in them, such as the Novitiate, Sala de profundis, cloister of the Generals, small cloister, chapels and orchard. In the middle of the 19th century, with the triumph of the liberal party and the separation of the State and the Church, the lands were disentailed and part of the convent fell. Today we can enjoy the temple and its three high naves. It preserves several magnificent altarpieces in the interior, the main altar has an altarpiece designed by Manuel Tolsá and in the central place is the old Christ of the Noviciado, an image taken for miraculous in the community of friars. Inside are works of art by painters such as Alonso López de Herrera and Cristóbal de Villalpando. Also surviving in the side chapels are such famous images as the Virgin of the Rosary and the Lord of the Rebozo.
Proyecto “Corredor de Cultura Digital”.
Nombre de la investigación: Investigación Centro Histórico, Monumentos, Edificios y Puntos de Interés (2023)
Dirección de investigación y diseño de Rutas: Acércate al Centro A.C. Guadalupe Gómez Collada
Coordinación e investigación histórica: Fideicomiso del Centro histórico Dir. Maestra Loredana Montes