The Post Office building was designed as a structure of steel columns and linked beams, thus reducing the thickness of the walls. The foundation and engineering work was the responsibility of Gonzalo Garita, a military engineer. The building was designed by Italian architect Adamo Boari. Both Garita and Boari were also in charge of the Palace of Fine Arts. It is the fifth building to house the post office. It was opened on February 17, 1907 by then-President, Porfirio Diaz. The building combines the Venetian Gothic style with a flamboyant Elizabethan Gothic on the exterior. Interiors are in the French style of the late 19th century. The quarry stone and marble are Mexican. The foundry work in the main staircase, gates, windows and railings, as well as the ornamental bronze were all commissioned from the Casa Pignone of Florence.
Proyecto “Corredor de Cultura Digital”.
Nombre de la investigación: Investigación Centro Histórico, Monumentos, Edificios y Puntos de Interés (2023)
Dirección de investigación y diseño de Rutas: Acércate al Centro A.C. Guadalupe Gómez Collada
Coordinación e investigación histórica: Fideicomiso del Centro histórico Dir. Maestra Loredana Montes