MexicoCity.cdmx.gob.mx

< Go Back

Church of Santo Domingo de Guzmán, Mixcoac

Santo Domingo de Guzman
Photo: Öskr Rck on Wikimedia Commons.

 

Built in 1595 by the Franciscans, the Parish Church of Santo Domingo de Guzmán was passed to Dominican control already by 1608. Notably, the church’s website hosts a remarkably beautiful gallery.

Arguably the center of the old town of Mixcoac, today it’s technically part of the colonia of Insurgentes Mixcoac. It’s the backdrop to an equally beautiful park. The church is prized for its private nature, and for the beauty of the choir. There are some limited tours of the facilities available at least on an irregular basis although these are said to be exclusively in Spanish. The former monastary and church building mostly date to 1648.

The former church atrium is today almost indistinguishable from the Plaza Jáuregui just across the street. The concave Wall of Peace is along Augustino Rodin street just across from the street grounds. Inside, you’ll find life-size images of the Dolorosa, Christ, and San Juan. There’s also a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary.

The Parish Church of Santo Domingo de Guzmán, and the surrounding square, are among the most peaceful places in the neighborhood.

Related

Unidad Habitacional Santa Fe

One of the grandest of 1950s housing experiments in Mexico City . . .

Emperatriz de América Church

One of the most noteworthy structures in San José Insurgentes...

FONART Patriotismo

A magnificent tribute to Mexico's artisan culture...

Mercado de Mixcoac

One of Mexico City's great gourmet marketplaces...

Casa de Joaquín Fernández Lizardi

An important historical landmark in Mixcoac...

Practical guide and services