The building was designed by the Italian architect Silvio Contri, on the site of the old San Andrés College of the Society of Jesus which had become a hospital. The present building was begun in 1904, with national labor and Italian craftsmen. It was completed by 1911. It was originally the headquarters of the Secretariat of Communications, until another building was constructed and the palace was converted into the General Archive of the Nation. By 1982 the sumptuous palace opened its doors as the National Museum of Art and later the Telegraph Museum was opened here too.
Proyecto “Corredor de Cultura Digital”.
Nombre de la investigación: Investigación Centro Histórico, Monumentos, Edificios y Puntos de Interés (2023)
Dirección de investigación y diseño de Rutas: Acércate al Centro A.C. Guadalupe Gómez Collada
Coordinación e investigación histórica: Fideicomiso del Centro histórico Dir. Maestra Loredana Montes