The Niños Héroes monument is among the most prominent of the many monuments dedicated to the six young military heroes of the Battle of Chapultepec during the US invasion in 1847.
Notably, this monument was dedicated in the same year as the Fuente de Petróleos, but shows none of the 20th century characteristics for which the latter monument is closely examined. Constructed entirely from Carrara marble, this monument is the work of architect Enrique Aragón Echegaray and the sculptor, Ernesto Tamariz. On a plaza at the entrance to Chapultepec, it serves as the backdrop for what is, especially on weekends, one of the city’s most heavily trafficked plazas.
It’s also but one of many obelisks, murals, and similar remembrances to the heroes of the lost battle and one of the saddest moments in Mexican history.
A niche in each of the columns now contains an urn with the remains of the six cadets. The remains of Colonel Felipe Santiago Xicoténcatl are beneath the monument’s main statue. The monument’s dedication reads: “To the Defenders of the Fatherland 1846-1847.”
Officially called the Altar a la Patria (Altar to the Fatherland), it’s today more widely called the Niños Héroes Monument.
One of the important entranceways to Los Pinos, and thus to the rest of Chapultepec.
]The beloved Fountain of the Frogs in the Bosque de Chapultepec...
A fantastic floating causeway between sections 1 and 2 of Chapultepec Park.
A museum and welcome center for the Chapultepec community...