Photos: Catedrales e Iglesias/Cathedrals and Churches, Attribution 2.0 Generic (CC BY 2.0)
The Church of San Juan Crisóstomo in the Pueblo de San Juan de Aragón is the third structure dedicated to the saint (see below) in the town. The patron saint was selected based on church feast days during the administration of Ignacio Comonfort (1856-1858). The town, one of the original settlements of Gustavo A. Madero, is generally said to have been founded at that time. The history of the preceding hacienda and the Tlatelolco fishing territory is quite a bit longer.
Of course, the church is today among the most prominent buildings surrounding the Jardín Revolución. This is the open area surrounding the kiosk, and the modern civic center of the town. The splendid town market is just on the southeastern corner. And the square is increasingly surrounded by cafes and eateries that reflect the town’s historic status at the center of the area.
The church was rebuilt and remodeled in the 1960s. This was to coincide with the arrival of the Basilian Fathers, a Canadian order originally from France, and still dedicated to Saint Basil. They’ve run the congregation since the 1960s. They arrived to tend to what had grown into one of the first centers of migration of peoples from across the Mexican Republic. By the 1960s, it was a crowded area.
Saint John Chrysostom (c. 347–407) is referred to as one of the Early Church Fathers by most of Christendom. He was archbishop of Constantinople and is still honored by the Oriental and Eastern Orthodox churches, by the Roman Catholics, Anglicans, Coptics, and Lutherans. The most important part of the Divine Liturgy of the Byzantine Rite is attributed to Saint John, and thus the entire work is referred to as the Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom. His name, the Greek, Chrysostomos, means "golden-mouthed" and refers to his exceptional oratorical skills. The Roman Catholic Church considers him a Doctor of the Church, and he's widely recognized as a Saint.