The first archbishop of Mexico, Franciscan friar Juan de Zumárraga, bought the land here and used it as of the 16th century as the Hospital of the Love of God (Hospital del Amor de Dios). It was known for the treatment of venereal diseases. The hospital survived amidst scarcity and necessity until 1786, when it closed its doors. The land was again used in 1791 for the construction of the Royal Academy of San Carlos, which had been founded within the Mint in 1785. By 1852 the building was restored and acquired its present appearance, under the Academy Director, Javier Cavallari. In 1913, the main patio was covered with an Art Nouveau style dome from the Parisian house of Lapeyrer. Today, the Academy has been again renovated and preserves invaluable collections exhibited to the public.
Proyecto “Corredor de Cultura Digital”.
Nombre de la investigación: Investigación Centro Histórico, Monumentos, Edificios y Puntos de Interés (2023)
Dirección de investigación y diseño de Rutas: Acércate al Centro A.C. Guadalupe Gómez Collada
Coordinación e investigación histórica: Fideicomiso del Centro histórico Dir. Maestra Loredana Montes