Metro Niños Héroes / Poder Judicial CDMX is a busy underground station along Line 3 of the Mexico City Metro. In the Doctores neighborhood, in 2019 the station welcomed an average ridership of 39,000 passengers every day.
Opened in November of 1970, the station logo long represented the seal of the Heroico Colegio Militar, then located in the Chapultepec Castle. This is where the actual Niños Héroes died in 1847. Avenida Niños Héroes, above the station, explains its name. The station and the avenue are among numerous tributes to the fallen cadets in the city and around the country.
In 2019, the Metro changed the station name to reflect the Poder Judicial CDMX. The Metro authority then changed the logo, too. The Poder Judicial is part of the “Ciudad Judicial,” practically a neighborhood of city judicial and court buildings. These are, in the main, arranged along Avenida Niños Héroes, between this station and Metro Balderas to the immediate north.
The most architecturally interesting of these is the Palacio de Justicia at 132 Avenida Niños Héroes. The Judicial City complex has grown considerably since. But this most inspiring building was completed in 1964. It was designed by the acclaimed architect Juan Sordo Madaleno in collaboration with José Adolfo Wiechers.
Nearby: The Niños Héroes station is a quick walk to both the Antique Toy Museum and the Jardín Pushkin which is in the very east of the Colonia Roma. The Estación Indianilla Cultural Center is even closer, just two blocks north at the corner of Claudio Bernard.