Open - Limited Services / Capacity
The Capilla De El Calvario, the Calvary Chapel, has been a landmark since probably as far back as 1531. It’s practically all that’s left of the Barrio Originario of Calvario, today known as the Colonia Calvario Camisetas.
Records indicate that the chapel here was rebuilt in 1774, replacing what had likely been an adobe structure that’d somehow survived for two centuries. The building we see today dates only from the 20th century, having been built to again replace its predecessor.
Nevertheless, the chapel is still an important way to reimagine the area that was throughout the 19th century the center of neighborhood festivities. Indeed, these were so successful, even earlier, that they’d led to the establishment of Santa Úrsula Xitla as a town. It had in fact, been settled originally in the 11th and 12th centuries.
The Calvario area was a very popular place for those who lived in both San Agustín de las Cuevas and Santa Usrula for nearly the entirety of recorded history. At one point, its famous image of the Lord of Calvary was transported to the temple of Santa Úrsula for restoration. Residents still remember the generosity of the parishioners from Chimalistac in paying for the restoration. (Santa Ursula was a part of the town of San Ángel for a good portion of the pre-independence period.) It’s still considered a very important neighborhood in Santa Ursula.
The Capilla De El Calvario is just off of Insurgentes Sur avenue, with the Fuente Brotantes drive passing to one side. Visits are often combined with a trip to the national park.