Open - Limited Services / Capacity
The Temple of San Matéo Churubusco is one of the few reminders of the old altepetl (Nauhatl: “City State”) of Huitzilopochco. The city-state passed under control of Mexico-Tenochtitlan in 1428. Built in 1569, this temple was standing when the Franciscan Dieguins arrived at what was to become the nearby Churubusco Monastery,
The town of Huitzilopuchco had thereafter already begun to be called Sant Mateo. The further place-name of Churubusco was added at about the same time. But from then on Huitzilopuchco was essentially lost within the larger Churubusco, and later, the colonial town of Coyoacán.
Documents of the time indicate that the old town had some 11 neighborhoods. Two of these had finished churches. Fruit selling, salt production, basketry, ceramics, and some fishing were main sources of livelihood for town residents.
Importante centro de convenciones y parada de Capital Bus en la Calzada.