The Metro Bosque de Aragón station is on Line B of the Metro in the City’s northeast. The station is named for the giant recreational park immediately to the north of the station. In fact, the station is visible from much of this section of the park. With a major zoo in the west, the eastern end is a much quieter place.
The park was officially opened in 1964 on land that had been reforested since the 1930s. President Lázaro Cárdenas famously championed the desalinization of the soil and the planting of much of the original forest during his administration from 1934-1940. After World War II though, the larger Aragón area was a crowded and entirely urban area. The forest became an important natural reserve and recreation area.
Today the park is an important and historical part of the modern urban landscape, and a popular place for weekend reunions and parties. The park entrance at the Metro offers special access to the quieter side of the lake and picnic areas. The station also serves the residential neighborhoods of San Juan de Aragón Sections 3, 4 and 5 to the east and south of the station. The station logo refers to the Forest Park with the symbol of three trees.
Nevertheless, it’s not one of the busier stations on Line B. Although the overall Metro Line will see heavy use during rush hours, late mornings and afternoons can see the station all but empty. The station opened in 1999 with the rest of Metro Line B.