By 1583, the Jesuits has put forward an educational strategy with the creation of the Colegio de San Ildefonso. The institution was supported by Philip III and was rebuilt in the early 18th century to hold the Colegio Chico, the Colegio Grande, and a courtyard for interns. In 1767, the Jesuits were expelled from the all of the dominions of Charles III, and San Ildefonso was left as a student residence. It later became a college again, but now administered by the Secular Clergy. In the 19th century, it served as a barracks three times until the Escuela Nacional Preparatoria (National Preparatory School) was created in the building in 1867. In 1910, that School was incorporated into the National University, but the building continued to serve as a preparatory school until 1980. Between 1907 and 1931 several spaces were built on the Justo Sierra Street side. Among them was the Simón Bolívar Amphitheater and the neocolonial facades. On the San Ildefonso side is the front of a small school with a sculpture of the Virgin of the Rosary carved in alabaster, and a relief of San Ildefonso receiving the chasuble from the hands of the Virgin. Inside is a remarkable group of murals by several painter that constitute an invaluable collection from the Mexican muralist movement. The Salón El Generalito has part of the convent of San Agustín and some portraits of schoolboys from the Viceregal period, among other treasures.
Proyecto “Corredor de Cultura Digital”.
Nombre de la investigación: Investigación Centro Histórico, Monumentos, Edificios y Puntos de Interés (2023)
Dirección de investigación y diseño de Rutas: Acércate al Centro A.C. Guadalupe Gómez Collada
Coordinación e investigación histórica: Fideicomiso del Centro histórico Dir. Maestra Loredana Montes