The Regina Coeli Church & Convent mostly comes to attention because of the temple’s prominent location on the western end of pedestrian-friendly Calle Regina. The temple is next to the contemporary Concepción Béistegui Hospital. It had been part of the convent founded in the late 16th century. The smaller of the two entranceway facades dates from that long ago.
The Convent was the second founded by nuns of the Order of the Purísima y Limpia Concepción. This one was founded in 1553 and preceded by the Immaculate Conception Church & Convent at Cuepopan, founded in 1540. Built on some 11,000 square meters, ten sisters moved from therein 1573.
The convent continued to function until 1863, when the nuns were forced to abandon it. It was used as a barracks until 1871 when it was reopened as a church.
In front of the temple, the plaza has always been a popular City square. This was restored after centuries beginning in 1967 when it was closed to vehicular traffic. More recent restorations have recovered the Patio de los Confesionarios, and the lower choir of the Medina Picazo Chapel. But the Regina Coeli Church still most stands out for the striking Baroque altarpiece. The interior is a magnificent tribute to another age.