Open - Limited Services / Capacity
The San Antonio Panzacola Chapel is at the corner of Avenida Universidad and the called Francisco Sosa. The latter street used to be the “Royal Road” between the towns of San Ángel and Coyoacán. Panzacola refers to an abundance of lizards in the area, at least by some accounts. Some historical buildings in the area bear carved stone lizards in reference to this name.
The Panzacola Chapel is right next to a stone bridge over the Magdalena River. The Puente de Altillo is especially well known for having been captured by the landscape painter, Eugenio Landesio, in 1861. The bridge is thought to date to about 1768.
Declared a national monument in 1932, the San Antonio Panzacola Chapel is a Baroque Chapel of the most splendid variety. Inside, the carved altarpiece and Catalan-style vaulted ceiling are of exquisite quality and in good repair. Byzantine paintings depict the Holy Family.
Sources cited on this page:
César Ricárdez: Historia. San Antonio de Panzacola