< Go Back

Working in Mexico City


A lot of visitors to Mexico City end up wanting to stay. Quality of life is sky-high, and the cost of living is often quite low.

  • For most international visitors, touching base with the office, or performing some remote tasks for your regular job or clients will not create a problem.
  • Most problems for remote workers staying in Mexico City emerge from over-staying a visa and/or failing to establish or update your residency status.
  • If you plan on staying beyond the length of an entry “Tourist Visa,” you should be ready to apply for the Temporary Residence Visa.


No visa required countries
Countries for which visas are
NOT required to visit Mexico.

The Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM) is the “Tourist Visa” issued to all non-Mexicans when they enter the country, unless they originate from countries for which visas are required (those not listed at right).

Click the image at right for the list of countries for which visas are not required.

The paper FMM can be valid for anywhere from seven-days, the mandatory-minimum, to 180 days. 180 days used to be very common, but the Federal Migration Institute (FMI) no longer issues these as regularly as they once did. Depending on where and when you come into the country, you could very well be issued with a 14-day FMM.

The new stamped FMMs are universally for 30 days and are being phased in. The older paper FMM is being phased out. It all depends on where you enter the country. The new FMM is digital and the date stamped in your passport is digitally recorded.

FMMs may not be extended as they could be in the past. Frequent visitors to Mexico are now encouraged to apply for either a temporary or permanent resident visa. And this process needs to be begun outside of Mexico.

At the end of the time allotted by your FMM, you must leave Mexico. Overstaying will result in fines based on the number of days you’ve overstayed.

Temporary and Permanent Residency Visas

Important: The process for applying for first-time Temporary and Permanent Residency Visas needs to be begun outside of Mexico. This is generally at a consulate’s office in your home country.

Temporary resident permits are renewable, and provide you with legal non-immigrant status. A first issue of the permit will always be for one year. After that it may be renewed for one, two, or three years.

Work permissions must be applied for in tandem with the residency visa. Again, applicants will need to leave Mexico to receive a residency permit with or without a work permit.

The INM will likely ask for proof of solvency for the residency permit. After four years, the holder of a temporary resident permit may apply for permanent residency status.

Remote Work from Mexico City

For most guests to Mexico City, working remotely for employers or clients outside of Mexico, and wherein payments are made entirely outside of Mexico, there should be no conflict.

Conflicts emerge nearly entirely from residency issues, and staying past the dates specified by the FMM. Those frequently applying for a new FMM.

The other way to wander into conflict is to seek employment or payment from Mexican residents or businesses, or through a Mexican bank. For that you need to apply for residency and a work permit.